Thursday 9 February 2012

Editing Process

The programme I have used for editing is called Adobe Premiere Pro CS3. This is the programme we need to edit on in school. If I had a larger budget, I would be able to buy more advanced and higher quality software.


I had captured the film from the video camera and I've imported it into the programme. The first thing I need to do is use the Razor Tool for cutting parts of clips that I don't need or that need shortening. This is a print screen of this process.

I need to produce a film production company logo for it to show at the beginning of the trailer, as it is a necessity. I have inserted a new title and chose from the templates, a medical one.



I then changed the rectangular background into 'arc' so that it would be more advanced and interesting. I also added the effect 'mosaic out' which is shown above.


I went on http://www.freesound.org/ to look for some sound effects to fit in with 'mosaic out' and I came up with the idea that this effect is like glass shattering, so I found a sound effect of this (similar to what Foley Artists do) because it sounded realistic. It would have been better if there was a shattering effect included in Premiere Pro but unfortunately I will have to settle for this.


I filmed some paintings/pictures included in a book I found at home. I did this because they are quite creepy images, so this would fit in with my genre. Other films that use this technique is 'Twilight', when Bella looks up on the internet about vampires and relates it to Edward. I have used the old fashioned technique to this and have used a book. This causes a mysterious sense as the viewer wants to know what ideas the images in the book are trying to give off.

However, I have found a better effect/idea than merging the images together. Merging images together didn't seem to have much effect, where as if I place the images in a square, fading in and out on the same page, this fits better to my music and genre. I have also added the effect 'ghosting' to these clips, so that it is a little blurring, symbolic to the delusion of the main character, and also to the audience because they do not know what the pictures are there for. This creates a sense of mystery and intriguing the viewer into the film.

This is a title in the editing process. I have put the two phrases separately for a refracted effect. They are also of different fonts to show that 'Inevitable' is a film. I have also used blur in and out so it is not part of the actual film.

Changing speed using the Rate Stretch Tool - drag the clip left to make faster, right to make it slower. I made the rocking chair move faster as a creation of distortion.


This is an example of when I alter how loud the sound is. In this clip, there is dialogue and music so I've got to make sure that there is a right balance between the two sounds, so you can hear both. Here, I increased the sound of the dialogue from 0.0 to 5.0dB. You can also see in this screenshot, that I have added many 'dip to black' effects during blackouts; this is so the clips flow together, but only some of them because I want certain clips to be detached and jumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment