Thursday 8 December 2011

Representation of women

"The surveyor of woman in herself is male: the surveyed female. Thus she turns herself into an object - and most particularly an object of vision: a sight" - John Berger in 'Ways of Seeing'. I think what he is saying that men objectify women when they look at them, and women watch themselves being looked at. The pleasure of looking is called Scopophilia. In my media product, I have unknowingly decided to use moderately attractive women through a fault of lack of choice. However, this may attract more males as a audience. I may also relate my trailer product with the Oedipus complex because it involves a brief connection between mother and son. Laura Mulvey (1975) states that psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud associates Scopophilia with "taking other people as objects, subjecting them to a controlling and curious gaze... at the extreme, it can become fixated into a perversion, producing obsessive voyeurs and Peeping Tom's whose only sexual satisfaction can come from watching, in an active controlling sense, an objectified other".
She argues that the environment of the cinema a "hermetically sealed world which unwinds magically" with its lack of light and inability to interact with other spectators produces the ideal environment for voyeurism where spectators can look in on a "private world". She also argues that the gaze of the male spectator is united with that of the male protagonist. They become one man, looking at women. As I am using a male protagonist, this may happen but hopefully the main content of horror will distract and take-away from this.
'Rear Window' by Alfred Hitchcock has influenced my product of representations. Although I have a male protagonist, he is also the victim which deliberately goes against the traditional representations. Similarly to this film, I previously decided I could of added an extra female to the trailer to represent how the camera will not embody the males 'gaze'. If I add in the main characters partner, there will not only be intertextual romance but similar to Rear Window, the man will be more occupied/disturbed by his observations than that of the girlfriend. I would use this if I was making an extension trailer or the whole film.

1 comment:

  1. Yes - interseting and helpful.

    Please make it clear that we had a lesson on this and these ideas grew as a consequence of that.

    ReplyDelete