Tuesday 17 January 2012

Foleying

Foley is a term that describes the process of live recording of sound effects that are created by a Foley artist, which are added in post production to enhance the quality of audio for films/video. Using my phone, I recorded the sound of slamming on a piano, wind chimes and a screech. However, due to an error I couldn't upload these into Premiere Pro. To overcome this, I just had to make sure that the sound I wanted was included when filming the footage.

For example, I set the grandfather clock to a few seconds before a whole number (such as 6 o'clock) and then filmed, waiting for it to chime. The only weakness was that the chime didn't sound as low/deep as I would've hoped, nevertheless, I stuck with the plan. I filmed the clock while it was chiming instead of recording audio of the chime itself. I don't think this hindered the film in anyway, it just gives a clearer visual of the audio transitions and makes the trailer more intense.
A film that uses a grandfather clock similar to my genre is Donnie Darko. It features at 00:59 and 1:50. Like my film, they did not use a foley artist for the grandfather clock.




A good example of Foleying is this:

Fil:Foleying the water sound.jpg
"This was for "Vroege Vogels" (air date September 22, 2009), where Menno was supposedly peeing in a jar. I created a similar sound with water and two glasses. The microphone is a Neumann TLM 170R" - http://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:Foleying_the_water_sound.jpg
Of course, this shows that when you can't obtain the sound you want, you need to use a similar sound. As for mine, there are no 'rude' type aspects for sound like this, so I can just use the actual sound for something I want, not a different chime to the clock. Perhaps because a viewer may have a similar clock, and notice that the sound if different.



SoundWorks Collection: Gary Hecker - Veteran Foley Artist from Michael Coleman on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment