Tuesday 10 January 2012

Props and Location shots


PROPS, COSTUME AND MAKE-UP


This is the car I will be using. It is quite ordinary, and shows the social class of the characters.



This is what my main character will be wearing in the woods. Props include the dog lead around his neck. He is wearing a Barbour jacket which has connotations of being expensive and old fashioned as Barbour & Sons was founded in 1894, which almost fits in with my old fashioned feel to the modern century. 
http://clothesonfilm.com/how-to-read-costume-on-film/20146/ is a website that highlights the important meaning of costume.



This is the setting of the inside of the old woman's house. As you can see, it is quite old fashioned. Props in this room include:

Ornaments on the wooden table, located behind the old woman. The weighing scale and kettle are of similar make and era. I really like the old effect of the gold and rusty black; it makes them seem ancient. I used the globe because it has connotations and refers to a crystal ball. I was going to use this instead of the old woman reading the boy's palms but I changed this idea because I thought it would be more realistic and believable if I used palm reading.

Also behind the old woman is this antique shelf. As you can see, there is a black&white photograph on it. This contributed with my old-fashioned theme as it is a photo from when colour ink hadn't been invented. This may also be seen as creepy in certain horrors which is a bonus.
I like the idea of the old woman sitting in a rocking chair. Again, it is old fashioned and here I found the idea of the rocking chair moving fast when no one is in it.. like a ghost/spirit is moving it deliberately to scare. A thrilling film that also uses a rocking chair in this way is Psycho (1960).


This is the grandfather clock that is featured in my trailer. It is old fashioned like the rest of my props and fits in perfectly. I also think the shadow works well because it makes it seem bigger and adds to the mystery. I wanted to fit the top detail in because it reminds me of a cathedral, therefore biblical imagery, fitting in with the fact that it may be the devil that is trying to posses him.



This is the candle that sits on the centre table. Like the other props in the room, it is old fashioned, decorative and gold. The candle gives some sort of light into the dull room, and I have the idea that it will get blown out towards the end of the clip (the audience will not see a person blowing it out, but simply when the old woman's line is finished it will be gone, so it is almost like the spirit has entered the room.

I will be using my gran as the old creepy woman. To make her look even older, I have drawn over her lines and wrinkles in a dark brown make-up pencil so they show more. I have also used black eyeshadow for the effect around the eyes, like she hasn't slept for a long time and her eye sockets are getting worn. I have attempted to put talcum powder on her face to make her look pale (hence the red apron that she will not be wearing when filming) but unfortunately it has not worked. These make-up techniques have been applied to the main character Matthew as this scene (as he is now in distress/danger) and the spirit seen in the mirror reflection scene. The spirit will have extra paleness, blackness around the eyes and blood coming from her eye as she is the most dangerous and extreme of characters. She will also be wearing a white night dress for the feeling that she is a little girl. This innocence contrasts with the true nature of her personality which is obviously portrayed throughout my trailer.



LOCATION

This is the house of which the main character lives. Again, it is pretty average and shows the social class. The black door represents doom because of the dark colour and the fact the son of perdition enters and exits through this door. It is ironic that this is the last time he will be exiting out this door.



This is the forest where the main event(s) will take place. "Trees have traditionally been planted in many cultures in honour of an accomplishment or an important rite of passage such as a graduation, wedding, retirement or the birth of a child. This tradition is also appropriate for honouring the life of a loved one at the loved one's passing." - http://livingartsoriginals.com/infoforests.htm#planting. This is a hidden meaning and connotes why I have chosen a forest. It is not because of a graduation or wedding etc; it indicates the life of a loved one's passing. Forests are usually conventional for horrors because they are dark, mysterious and hidden.


This is the house of the old woman that my main character goes to see for help. I chose this house because it is surrounded in trees and in the middle of nowhere; making it creepy and isolated, just like the character of the old woman. It is quite old fashioned to fit in my theme of the Victorian age of the era in which the old woman lives, also fitting in with props found in the dark house.

 

1 comment:

  1. again fairly thorough research.

    T - sp: 'talcon,horros'

    ReplyDelete