Tuesday 10 January 2012

Poster experimenting and drafting

I have considered the layout of the title on the poster I will be making. In order to establish this, I have used an app on my iphone, so fonts and colours are limited.

Here I have established a typical bus stop billboard. I have decided the title will not be in the centre or dominating the whole page as this is unconventional.
This shows the changes I will be making. The first two words are in fancy writing which contrasts with the boldness of the word 'Perdition'. I have also changed the colour of the font to see how contrasting the colour white is. I will not be using a white background if the font if white.
Here is an example of the colours presented on a billboard. 'Perdition' stands out because it is in red and is the most important word in the title. The red symbolises blood/danger and the black font is dark and mysterious.



Here I have edited the picture of the house and made it into pop-art. I think this is a good effect. The colours red and black represent darkness, doom, danger and blood.


I have experimented with theme, low tone and mid tone. This one perhaps shows more detail but the colours aren't as significant.

Again, I have experimented with the colours.
I was thinking about the colour green because green orbs are associated with the supernatural.




Here I have edited the house into a mosaic style. The picture is made up of little pictures (these little pictures are ones in my photo album). I think this is very different from usual film posters. The only one I can think of that uses this effect is 'The Truman Show' - http://idratherbeworking.wordpress.com/2009/08/26/the-truman-show/. A down-side of using mosaic style is that if I write on/over it, it will not be noticed and I will need a block of a colour background like what is used in The Truman Show's poster.

This is an extreme close-up of the main character I will be using, concentrating on the scared/shocked facial expression. This is quite an extreme and over the top expression, which is needed if I will heavily edit the picture, as it needs to stand out. Notice I have edited the colour of the picture so it's black and white but left the colour of the eye to stand out. I believe emotion is also portrayed through the eyes and this is why I have done this. The rest of him is black and white to show his motionless state.


Here I have made the picture mosaic. I'm not sure if this works with a close-up picture because I think it looks too busy.



And here I have made the picture into pop-art. I like the colours red and black as these fit into my horror genre. I like how it has concentrated on the detail on the eye.



This is the font I might use for my title- found on urbanfonts.com under category 'scary'. I also love this background as it is red which connotes danger and blood, and the texture it is suggesting, almost looking 3D which is the latest, wow-factor technology. To enable it to apply to my media product, I would montage it in with my main image and replace the words with my title, tagline and credits.

1 comment:

  1. Alicia, I'm really loving a number of your ideas and the amount of stlyes and concepts you are willing to consider to make this work. I especially like the ECU, the horror style font and the use of mosaics. I look forward to seeing it as it develops.

    ReplyDelete