Saturday 14 January 2012

Taglines/slogans

A tagline is a variant of a branding slogan typically used in marketing materials and advertising. The idea behind the concept is to create a memorable phrase that will sum up the tone and premise of a brand or product (like a film), or to reinforce the audience's memory of a product. Some taglines are successful enough to warrant inclusion in popular culture.
Some examples of memorable film taglines:

  • "In space, no one can hear you scream." – Alien


  • "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..." – Jaws 2


  • "There can be only one" – Highlander


  • "One ring to rule them all." – The Lord of the Rings




  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagline


    Origninally, for my poster design I came up with "There's no place to hide". However, since changing my mind and adding more clips into the trailer, I believe this doesn't necessarily relate to the film as a whole. So, I want a tagline that relates to my title "Son of Perdition" and to the films plot about possession and delusional beliefs. Therefore, I have came up with "dream of death".  It is short, and has the same amount of words as my title. It relates to the fact that after watching this film, you would want to dream of your own death, as the character does. It is like someone saying "You better wish you were dead" (because it is better to have an instant death than to be tortured). Conventionally, taglines give more away and are a sentence. But I have gone against this convention by having another type of "title" for the film. Usually, they act as hints for the film. Like the film 'Scream', their slogan is "Someone has taken their love of scary movies one step too far. Solving this mystery is going to be murder". In my opinion, this is too long for a slogan because I believe a poster should be more visual. You get all the writing on the back of DVD covers, on their website or in film reviews. It would be too much to read, if say, you saw it on the side of a bus that drives past.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment